Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Day 2 Part 2 - Mood!

Although I really could not have asked her to be any better, Kyla did several times a day say that she 'just needed to run!' and asked for grass to run in several times, ha!  So I let her run (right) ahead of me on the sidewalk sometimes when it wasn't too busy.  I walk super fast anyway, so I could keep up with her, and she got some freedom & got some of her energy out!  Plus, that's how we got to do so many things, we ran everywhere! (kidding, sort of anyway, ha!) 

Our next stop was 'Mood Designer Fabrics' aka, the Project Runway fabric store!  I've only watched 1 season of the show, but knew enough to know that it is the place to go!  And I had a Living Social voucher (I spent $15 for $30 store credit) so we headed to the 'fashion district' next.  Mood's entrance is on the 3rd floor, but then once you're inside you can go upstairs or downstairs also, it is 3 floors high.

Right when we walked, in, their famous dog (named Swatch) came running right over to Kyla like he wanted to be petted, so she was happy to oblige.  And then the sales people started chatting with us, one girl literally gave us a tour of the store, she was so super sweet and kept coming up & checking on us and Kyla.  I cannot even describe to you how huge & how much fabric they have here!  It seemed even bigger than it does on TV, and the bolts just went on and on and on.  The best way I know to describe it, is that of each type of very specific fabric (like silk chiffon, or cotton/silk voile, for example), they had more bolts of that one single very specific type than our whole Hobby Lobby carries of everything all together.  Just crazy.....

Kyla asked if she could pick out a fabric & I said sure, and our nice sales lady that was showing us around & chatting with us just being nice, suggested a Chinese silk because they are just $7/yard.  This is the color Kyla chose, after great deliberation.  She's started thinking lately that she likes some shades of blue better than pink maybe, and she likes violet too.  You can see below that she had tons to choose from!
The Chinese silk.....I let her sit there & touch them & chose a color for quite a while, while I eavesdropped on everyone around me, ha!  Besides us there was one other lady that was there sightseeing, everyone else seemed to be a student or on business; trying to find a silk match for a lining for a print they bought in, their boss wanted a certain shade of something, etc.  Pretty interesting.
I didn't get any pictures of the ribbons & trims and stuff I guess, but there were walls & walls of these boxes of buttons, even more of buckles, just seriously crazy the quantity of stuff here.  There were cutting tables everywhere, with lots of middle aged (meaning older than me, ha!) men running them.  I wish I had taken more pictures in here, but it was busy, and were were looking & this is all I got.  I was busy trying to chose my fabric too; I finally just pretty much grabbed something that caught my eye, it was SO overwhelming!  I need to make Kyla a skirt or top or something out of her silk though :)

Native American flute type players in the subway station....and more tile mosaics.  They were everywhere!

No comments:

Post a Comment