Thursday, January 19, 2012

Day 4, Part 2, the Statue of Liberty!

See the sign?  Headed to the Statue of Liberty & Ellis Island!  This was one of the things Kyla was most looking forward too, as she has LOVED the Statue of Liberty for a couple of years now.

Nice colors at the subway station, I love the diagonal tiles!

We met Bob, Sue, Anna, & Amanda here at Battery Park, where you get tickets to take the ferry to the Statue of Liberty.  This Sphere was between the two World Trade Center towers when they fell, but now stays here.  It's another one of those 'how in the world did it survive' things, although it is damaged, it was originally a regular sphere.

 The building you get tickets at was actually built as a defense against the British, though never used.  I knew that ahead of time, and it seemed pretty small now, dwarfed by all the huge building around it now.  It's called Castle Clinton.

Her coat is undone and everything because they have airport plus security...I actually had to take out and off more things than I do in the airport....all jewelry off, shoes, coats, hats, scarves, camera out of bags and in the bucket separately, the whole nine yards.  They had a tent over the security area, but it was still cold.  I kept telling everyone that it could be 110+ degrees and waiting in line for 4 hours plus, as is the norm in the summer.  We waited none.  You can barely see the Statue behind her here.

We were in a heated, indoor room.  Kyla kept her eyes glued to the statue!

Although she did chat a bit with the lady next to her, I couldn't hear what they were saying, but they were both smiling :)

 Amanda & Kyla.

You can't enter the pedestal or anything right now because it's being renovated, hence the cranes.  This photo was from the boat also.

 Getting closer!

 Notice how Kyla's eyes are stuck on Lady Liberty?  That was pretty much how it was, ha!





 Anna was the first to point out that she had her foot kicked back, something none of us knew before visiting.  Kyla was sure to check every replica we saw after this to make sure they had her foot properly kicked back :)


Kyla told me that she just couldn't take her eyes off of her, and that she didn't even notice the cold.  And it was cold, not miserably so, obviously it didn't bother her too much, but the wind chill was about zero this morning!!



 Thanks to Sue for taking our picture :)



 LOVE this one! 

 And this one too, sweet family photo :)

Cute!  They were facing the sun, reflecting on the river (remember, we're on an island here) so you can't see their eyes, but love the 'ladylike' poses!

Another of us, Anna actually took this one with my camera.

 And another, they're just all 4 so photogenic :)

There was a great view of lower Manhatten behind us, although we obviously spent the majority of our time facing the other way.

 Cute! Uncle Bob & Aunt Sue.

 Kyla literally could not keep her eyes off.

This was my cute headwrap we bought on the streets in Chinatown.  I think I would have frozen without it & the stretchy 'infinity' scarf I bought the same place, they were lifesavers. The bag I sewed for the trip worked really well too, except that it didn't match my coat since I switched to brown.  Oh well....my boots were brown too at least :)

 Sweet Kyla with her eyes on Lady Liberty again...or still.

She mentioned once that she was a bit disappointed about the cranes, but it clearly didn't bother her TOO much.  And, in the interest of full disclosure, I will say that as we got off on the island I leaned over and whispered to Bob (so the girls wouldn't hear) that I actually thought the Statue was a bit smaller than I had imagined.  Which was true.....still impressive though for sure.

 Love it, wonder when I can start selling postcards, ha!!



We got warm pretzels & warm cheese sauce on the warm ferry over to take the chill off for a little snack :)  Next stop, Ellis Island!

No comments:

Post a Comment