Thursday, January 19, 2012

Day 4, Post 5 - Roosevelt Island Tram!

This was so super cool!  Thanks to Jamie for recommending it to us!  It just cost one metro ride (2.50 normally, but I had the unlimited card) to ride, as I suppose it is actually for commuters.  As we witnessed and I tried not to be aggravated as Kyla & Anna crammed onto one seat because that's all that was left to look out of the window while several people sat next to them facing into the car, staring at their phones playing video games during the entire ride.  I couldn't believe it, maybe it's old hat to them.  Anyway, here the tram is arriving into the station; we walked up the stairs to get onto it.  You can see the platform it's about to swing onto, and some of the cool looking mechanical workings.  I was so glad we had decided to stop by, it was totally, absolutely last minute, and we saw the sun set!!  Amazing, we could not have timed it better if we had been trying!

Ready to go!

The trams are fully enclosed, and were actually really new, shiny & up to date.

Taking off!

Gorgeous views!

I didn't ask the girls to take their eyes off of the view for a photo, but I'm sure by now you can tell which one is which by the hats/hoods :)  And height.......

Did I mention the views were amazing?

Another tram passed us on the other line.

I loved the bridge! 



Jamie told me later that those 'bubbles' under the bridge are actually where he plays tennis, which was funny, because Anna & I had discussed what was under them :)

See the station waaay down below?  That's where we landed, on that yellow square with red on either side of it!

I'm sure it's mainly for structure and stability and not the design aesthetic, but I seriously loved this bridge.

Headed down!

We had to get off and get back on (so they could charge us for another fare, had my card not been unlimited subway rides) and then headed back.  Then sunset was gorgeous.  This is looking south.



 Sweet girls!

Anna, Kyla, & I had been on a different section of the car a bit, so we had a welcoming committee when we got down :)

Uncle Bob offered Kyla a little break that she took :)  I am SO thankful that they were willing to drop everything and miss school, swim team, work, church, etc. activities and come spend the weekend with us in the city!!

No comments:

Post a Comment